Search This Blog

Pages You Might Like

Tuesday 15 September 2020

Garden Makeover 2020

 Like many people, at the start of Lockdown back in late March, I had several ideas of what to do with this 'gift' of free time at home.

The only one I have actually succeeded at is transforming the front garden from being generic lawn to a cottage garden in the making.

As I can no longer do the heavy lifting and the rest of the family is going to 'do it later', I employed a local gardener to help me for a few hours each week. I have the knowledge and the equipment, but not the physical ability to get it done.

Peter also helped out as part of his Exercise Break during his homeschool time.


so we mowed the grass down short, leaving the clippings in place. Then the turf was loosened with a garden fork to allow good penetration of water


We had a good supply of home made compost that we had garnered over several years occupancy. Even when we did not actively garden we composted.

So we put down a thick layer of cardboard, gathered from various local sources, added a good layer of compost and then a further layer of garden soil, including some potting mix I had never gotten round to using.

We had to cut down a Very Large bunch of palm boles due to it

encroaching on the neighbours yard and needing a new fence, so we used the logs to edge the sections as we worked over a few weeks.

Next time I will tell you a bit about my choice of planting

No comments:

Post a Comment